Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Quitting smoking, Day 0

On the way home from work I stopped off at Walgreen's and bought a box of nicotine patches. I have been a moderate to heavy smoker for 15 years and I am SICK SICK SICK of it.

I know the smoking caused the pneumonia. What else could it be? What other 33 year-old gets PNEUMONIA????

I'm sick of having a smelly house, smelly car, smelly clothes, and smelly breath.

I'm sick of always having to clean up after my habit; ashtrays smell bad to me too.

I don't like being sick and I don't like that it takes me a month to fully recover from a simple cold.

So now I'm wearing a SUPER DUPER STRENGTH nicotine patch.

Time since my last cigarette: 0 days, 1 hour, 3 minutes.

We'll see how long I last. Normally by now I would have smoked at least 2 on the way home and probably another since coming home. I am going to try to apply the same determination and willpower to THIS that I have to weight loss. I figure I've lost 93.6 pounds, I know a little something about WILLPOWER.

Wish me luck. I need it. I've had 2 serious respiratory illnesses in the last 6 months (bronchitis in late 2008 and pneumonia last week) and I am sick of it. Sick of coughing, sick of wheezing, sick of STINKING. Sick of throwing away good money to do it. I spend at least $50 a week on cigarettes. That's retarded.

5 comments:

Bragger said...

I feel your pain. I had a hacking cough and bronchitis, and I sat there watching Monday Night Football....and smoking. So I put them down and never picked them up again. I wish someone had told me then how bad I smelled!

That was September 28, 1992. You can do it too! Good luck. Send me a message if you need any encouragement. I'm pulling for you!

Mariann said...

You GO GIRL!

jo said...

I wish you well. This is on my agenda, too, but I keep putting it off. Puff, puff.

Keep us posted!

Juice said...

You can do it!!!!!! Go girl!

FatLossGuy said...

The first two weeks are the worst. If you can make it past that, you've got a real chance of beating the habit.

I quit a pack-a-day habit 14 years ago cold turkey. The key for me was counting the days.

As the day count kept rising, it became harder to pick up a cigarette because I didn't want to blow my count and have to start over.

Even if you make a mistake, keep trying. You CAN quit!!