Saturday, October 25, 2008

Big Medicine

I've become totally addicted to a show called Big Medicine that is shown on Discovery Health at 11pm Central time every Friday night. I Tivo it; I'm usually not around on Friday nights to watch it *g*!

Some of the people on the show are simply extraordinary, but they have done it the "cheater" way, i.e. with gastric bypass surgery. At my heaviest, I would probably have qualified for GB and I see people on the show who started off smaller than me who now have to have plastic surgery to remove excess skin. Zoinks! I hope that doesn't happen to me, but it very well might. :-(

On this week's show there was this one woman who weighed about 450 lbs. She was crying about how she had always been at 350 lbs and how she had "let herself go". Yikes. If you weigh 350 lbs, you let yourself go a looooong time ago. She's also married with 3 children. It kind of depresses me that SHE has what I want, i.e. a husband and a family, and she weighs twice what I do. How does that work? I wonder sometimes what's wrong with me. I hate being single.

But I digress. It's an interesting show and I recommend it.

2 comments:

SG said...

hmmm i have never heard of that show but it sounds interesting.
it's always been a bad habit of mine to compare myself to other people. i am married...i dont have kids yet.....but i ALWAYS wanted to be married. and yes. it is great. but it's not everything. some times it makes life better and some times it makes life harder....just like being single. i can see how some one could get up to 450 lbs... i cant believe that im up to 270. i think at a certain point you just tune it out and ignore it to get by....and then it just gets work. that just reminds me that there is no hiding from it. it's a fight. it's either me or this fat.

Mariann said...

It's all relative! I might think "how could someone get to 350", but another person would look at me and say "how could she get to 220"...thanks for the comment.

My little add on the married comment - I am single too. I have learned to be happy and content with where I am at in life. If I get married - GREAT! If I don't - GREAT!

BTW - keep up the good work in the weight loss. You are just charging along. I am fighting for every last ounce!