Monday, October 27, 2008

Acne and skin tags

Those of you who are obese like me know the shame of skin tags. They're nasty, they're embarrassing, they can even be uncomfortable sometimes.

Today I had mine removed at the dermatologists's office. It was not a painless procedure. They cleaned them, which stung because they were irritated from when I shaved my armpits yesterday (they were in my armpits). They then numbed the tags with injections under the skin, which hurt. After I was numbed up, they cut them off. I'm a little tender where they were cut off and hopefully I won't be bruised tomorrow. Bruised armpits probably hurt.

The doc took one look at the severe cystic acne that has been plaguing me since I started my weight loss journey and said it was hormonal. Most of the acne is on the jawline. I've tried everything, and I mean everything, except Proactiv. The doc injected some of the more tender and juicy zits with steroids, which hurt a LOT. I was prescribed four things...can't recall exactly what they are but I got topical creams, antibiotics, and a blood pressure pill that the dermatologist said clears up acne for all his other patients.

We shall see. $160 poorer and clutching a sheaf of prescriptions, I headed out to the car gingerly as to avoid injuring my tender armpits and drove home by way of Walgreens to drop off the scrips. I shudder to think how much they'll cost even with insurance.

No comments: