Saturday, July 26, 2008

I went grocery shopping

I am trying to confine my grocery shopping to the "outside" aisles only. You know what I mean...the periphery of the supermarket where fruit, vegetables, meat, dairy, etc. live. I am avoiding the "evil" aisles containing junk food. I do sometimes have to venture into the center of the supermarket to get ketchup, cereal, etc.

This time I bought fresh fruit and vegetables, some lean cube steaks (on sale), frozen turkey burgers (cheaper than fresh), and some Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice frozen dinners. Now that I'm single again, I don't have anyone else to cook for but myself so I'm in complete control over what goes into my shopping cart. My ex-fiance was a big fan of chips, ice cream, popsicles, and sugary cereals. I haven't thrown all of that out yet, but since I don't like the same flavors he likes it's not really an issue. I'll get around to throwing it out.

I was really good at the supermarket. No junk food. No chips. I don't really have a sweet tooth so candy was not a big temptation for me and I seldom ate it anyway. I don't miss not having it in my diet. What I do miss are CHIPS. Tortilla chips and potato chips. Tortilla chips dripping with that four-cheese Mexican blend...god, that's so good. I could murder a plate of that right now. I won't, because it looks better on the shelf than it does on me. But it tastes so good.

If I had a bag of Lay's in my house, I'd probably eat the whole thing. I'm hungry, but I'm being good. This is why the chip aisle is now off-limits to me. I have no willpower when it comes to that. It's easier to just not buy them. Some people can buy a bag and only eat a few at a time, incorporating them as a special treat into an otherwise very healthy diet. Not me. If they're there, they will get eaten. Quickly. The low fat versions are not satisfying because the texture is so off-putting and they have a weird aftertaste. It's the full fat version or nothing, so I opt for nothing.

No comments: