Sunday, January 25, 2009

The water seems to be gone....

I've dropped some weight, I'm sure most of it was water....so the water appears to be gone though my fingers are still a little puffy and stiff so I'm still retaining some.

I believe it's due to a medication prescribed by my doctor for the acne caused by the weight loss. The medication is called spironolactone and since it also acts as a diuretic I'm guessing it dehydrated me and caused me to retain water. Another unpleasant side effect of it is it causes constipation. I waited a week after running out to refill my prescription and if you do that, you get to experience those unpleasant side effects all over again.

I'm guessing that didn't help the plateau.

I've also changed my workout routine; I had been using the elliptical nearly every day for many months, and when I became too busy at work to go to the gym at lunchtime I would do the 30 Day Shred video. Now when I go to the gym I change it up, using the stair stepper, treadmill for HIIT, stationary bicycle, etc. I've also increased the weights on my strength training, as I noticed I could no longer "work myself sore" with the weights I was lifting. Now I AM sore!

I have also increased the calories I'm eating; I noticed that I was averaging between 1200-1300 calories a day, a side effect of being "too busy" to eat. I am gradually ramping up my caloric intake back to a reasonable level. 1200-1300 is not enough for a woman my size.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you're having to deal with that...and constipation on top of it. But at least you know why and this plateau won't last. I can't believe you've lost so much already! Don't get discouraged!

FatGirl said...

Oh I'm not; being constipated is annoying and uncomfortable but it eventually passes. No pun intended. ;-)