Saturday, September 20, 2008

BP getting closer to normal

My blood pressure this morning was 138/84 and my heart rate was 72BPM.

For someone who was sent to the emergency room in May with a BP of 172/120 something and a heart rate of 120BPM, that's pretty good. My BP was normally not higher than 150/100 but even that is very high. 172/120 apparently constituted a medical emergency. When they took my BP after an hour of sitting in the ER, it was in the 130s/80s range, but that's after sitting still and reading for a full hour.

I do have white coat hypertension to an extent, but my average BP readings at home have dropped by about 10 on both the systolic and the diastolic, and my pulse rate has fallen by over 20 beats per minute.

In other words, my BP is nearly normal even though I'm still obese. By the time I get to my goal weight, my BP readings will probably always be in the extremely healthy range!

2 comments:

SeaShore said...

Congratulations for beating the silent killer. 138/84 is very good, and bp is usually higher in the morning/lower in the evening, so even better!

FatGirl said...

Thanks! I want to lose weight so I can be a slammin' hottie, but also so I can be healthy. Being healthy is equally important to me; I don't want to have any more of those "You're too young for this" or "You need to go to the emergency room" conversations anymore.

It was a total wakeup call.