Saturday, November 29, 2008

A present from me to me?

I'm nearing my Christmas goal of Onederland and some of my friends have encouraged me to get myself a very nice treat for getting under 200 pounds. I'm contemplating this.

On the one hand, buying a $100 bottle of perfume or an expensive piece of jewelry would make me feel good, but wouldn't it be temporary? Wouldn't the image in the mirror be reward enough? I don't know. Maybe I should get myself a really nice piece of jewelry, because then I'll always associate that piece with the hard work I put in to achieve my Christmas goal.

What do you guys think?

3 comments:

Juice said...

I'm on the fence about those gifts. In theory it sounds good, and if the gift is something that will truly motivate you, then by all means I'm for anything that motivates! But if the gift doesn't have a lot of meaning for you, then is it really worth it? Or would you be better off saving the money for when you hit your ultimate goal and need a new wardrobe? Or just save the money and use it to buy clothes (regardless of whether you are "at goal" or not) because your current clothes don't fit any more? Guess I'm not a whole lot of help here...

Way to go on making steps away from smoking! Not smoking in the house will be a HUGE improvement. It takes a while for the smell to disappear but it will improve the value of your home. And hopefully the inconvenience of smoking outside in the cold and rain will make it even easier to quit! :)

FatGirl said...

Good points! I think I've decided on something to get, once I've had 3 days on the scale below 200 pounds. It costs $150 and I think seeing it on my finger every day will help motivate me. I rarely indulge in things like this so I figure it's OK. :-)

Mariann said...

I say "go for it". Setting a goal and reward system is VERY motivating and like you said - a nice reminder of your accomplishments.