Sunday, August 24, 2008

Goodbye Olympics

The Olympics came to a close today. I am an Olympics JUNKIE. Actually, that's understating it. I can't get enough of it when it comes around every four years. I ADORE the Olympics. The sport, the drama, the exhiliration...it's incredible.

I can't wait until the next ones in 2012. The Winter Olympics are OK, but the Summer Olympics have the best events. Gymnastics, swimming, diving, track & field...I love all of it but I love those four the most.

Beijing did a very good job of putting the Olympics on, but I am still of the opinion that China is a closed and authoritarian society and the thought of it as the next economic superpower does worry me. I have nothing against the Chinese people; I've known many people from China in my lifetime and they've always been warm, polite, and kind. Their government? It needs to go!

There are 1,433 days to go until the 2012 Olympics kick off in London on July 27th, 2012.

The 2010 Olympics kick off in Vancouver in February 2010. That's not that far off...a little over a year and a half away. I can't wait.

Congratulations to all the athletes who participated but particularly to the US athletes, especially our gymnasts, our swimmers, and our track & field athletes. You all ROCK! USA! USA! USA!

No comments: