Sunday, August 31, 2008

My cardiovascular health is improving!

After I took a bath, I laid down on the bed for a few minutes to relax. I need to do this before taking my BP because the hot, humid air in the bathroom aggravates my asthma. That makes me breathe hard and raises my heart rate and BP.

After 3-4 minutes, I sat up and took my blood pressure. It was 131/80, pulse 66BPM.

I knew that my resting heart rate had slowed quite a bit just by feeling my pulse in my neck, but 66 BPM is pretty good I think! A year ago if I'd taken my pulse right after waking up from 8 hours of sleep, it'd still be in the 90s.

Weight loss has been a major concern on this journey, but improving my cardiovascular health has been just as important. Hypertension runs in the family, and it runs hard. So does heart disease on both sides. My doc was talking about putting me on medication for high blood pressure. I'm 33 years old. I am way too young for that. I said to her "No way. I'm going to take this weight off and work out to get fit." She shrugged as if to say "I've heard that one before."

She'll be eating her words when I see her in October. It ought to be fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is Fat Melanie from the 3fc forum. I tried to reply back but I saw they had already closed your account. That's fucked up. There was one moderator though, that defended you in one of the threads. She deleted that one thread because they were talking about you and amateurly diagnosing you with stuff. And she called them out on it in another thread. It was amusing!

I know you'll prove your doctor wrong in October. You're doing great. :-D

FatGirl said...

Yeah, they can kiss my ass; that board sucks.

Glad you stopped by my blog! Have you got one?